The HRAC Laurel Volunteer Examiner Team Coordinator is:
Steve Gobat, KA3PDQ
** TESTING IS PROVIDED FREE OF CHARGE **
We want to help you get your license or upgrade, but we also need your help to make testing sessions smoother and more efficient for you and for us! We require that you pre-register for your exam and obtain and submit your FCC-issued FRN number in advance. Click on each of the frequently asked questions below for more information.
If you have questions, please contact us HERE.
* TEST SESSIONS BEGIN AT 9:00 AM *
HRAC will hold VE Testing on the following dates in 2017:February 18, 2017 April 15, 2017 June 17, 2017 August 19, 2017 October 21, 2017 December 16, 2017
Test sessions are held at HACC Harrisburg Campus, Schumaker Public Service Building. See the room schedule posted at the main entrance for the specific room. (Testing usually takes place in the small cafeteria just to the left after entering through the main entrance.) Below is a map showing the approximate location. The street address is not valid for many GPS devices. Use HACC Gate 5 off of Industrial Rd for access.
An FRN number issued by the FCC is a unique identification number by which you are known to the FCC and with which your license will be associated. Applying online to the FCC in advance for your FRN number also allows us to avoid asking for your Social Security Number during the testing session. If you are already a licensed amateur, you most likely already have an FRN (with some exceptions including where the license pre-dates the existence of the FCC’s Universal Licensing System). Check the ULS first by entering your callsign here:
If you don’t already have one, applying for your FRN is simple and takes less than 5 minutes.
You can visit the FCC’s website for information about the application process or follow the quick instructions below. If you follow the instructions found on the FCC link, be sure to still look below for information about setting your paper license preference.
OR TO GET STARTED NOW….
In the “NEW USERS” area, choose “REGISTER” and follow the instructions to complete your application.
When you are finished, you will be provided with an FRN number. Be sure to make a note of your new FRN and the password that you created during the process.
Now we need to get your paper license preference adjusted to your liking. The FCC considers the license records in its online database (the FCC “ULS” or Universal Licensing System) to be the official record of amateur radio licenses. Accordingly, the FCC has recently decided not to issue paper licenses and mail them to new licensees by default. If you would like to have a paper license mailed to you, you may opt-in by adjusting a setting in your new account. If you desire to make this change and receive a paper license, you should do so BEFORE your exam (or at least before the results of the exam are transmitted to the FCC by the Laurel VEC).
To change your paper license preference, visit this link to “Log In” to your newly established account:
In the “ONLINE FILING” area, click on “LOG IN”.
Enter your new FRN number and the password you created.
Once you are logged in, you should see a green box that offers you the opportunity to adjust your account so that it is set to generate paper licenses, which will be mailed to your address of record.
All set. Next you can complete the online pre-registration form in order to attend an upcoming exam. Testing is free of charge.
Keep studying and we’ll see you at the next session!
Please complete the form below to pre-register for your exam. This information will also be used by the VE team to prepare the necessary paperwork for the testing session. Please complete the form completely and accurately to prevent delays at the testing site.
Important Note: DO NOT PROVIDE your social security number (“SSN”) via this website. This website is NOT secure.
If you have not previously transacted business with, nor been issued a license by the FCC, please use the appropriate FAQ for information on how to first apply for an FRN number through the FCC’s website.
If you are upgrading your license, you already have an FRN, which appears as a ten-digit number both on your current license and in the ULS.
To save time at the testing center, you may also opt to upload a copy of your current amateur radio license. DO NOT UPLOAD ANY FORM OF PERSONAL IDENTIFICATION. This website is NOT secure and we must view your original forms of identification at the testing site.
- Two legal forms of identification (one with a photo)
- Original Amateur License (if licensed)
- Copy of Amateur License (if licensed)
- Original of any CSCE (if upgrading)
- Copy of any CSCE (if upgrading)
- FCC Registration Number – “FRN”
The following information should help assure that you have everything needed when you attend our test session:
Application forms will be supplied.
1. Bring a pen and a pencil.
2. Bring two forms of identification. At least one of these should, if possible, be a photo ID such as a driver’s license. If you currently hold a valid Amateur Radio license, the original (not a copy) of this license can serve as one of these IDs. At least one of these IDs should show your current mailing address.
3. If you are currently licensed, bring the original of your current license as well as a copy that we may keep.
4. If you plan to submit a valid “Certificate Of Successful Completion Of Examination” (CSCE), or any other acceptable documentation for credit toward an upgrade, bring the original of the documentation as well as a copy for us.
5. If you have conducted business in the past with the FCC, you may have been assigned an FCC Registration Number (FRN). Several possibilities, but not the only ones, are that you may already hold an Amateur Radio License, a General Mobile Radio Service (GMRS) License or a Commercial License. If you are currently a holder of an Amateur License, the FRN may appear on the actual license. If it does not, the easiest way to find it is by accessing the ARRL Website at http://www.arrl.org and using the “Call sign search”. For all other situations, visit the FCC Universal Licensing System (ULS) at http://wireless.fcc.gov/uls. Please see the appropriate FAQ for information on how to obtain your FRN number if you do not already have one. We need your FRN at the time of pre-registration for an exam.
6. If you plan to use a calculator for your written exam, do not bring one that is unnecessarily complex. You will not be permitted to use it unless you can satisfy the VEs that all memory is completely cleared.
7. If you are handicapped and will require special attention, we must be informed of the circumstances ahead of time so that appropriate preparations can be made.
If you have questions about the above requirements, please let us know.